Monday, December 28, 2009

Where do I want to be with my Promethean skills?

It is a couple of days after Christmas and the break is half over.  When I left my classroom last Friday they were in the midst of installing my Promethean board and the room was a disaster.  I am anxious to return sometime this week just to clean up and arrange my room with this new awesome technology.

As soon as I return I want to become proficient in the use of the PB.  In my experience it is best for me just to dive in and start using it.  I often project images of our class blog or wiki so I can demonstrate how to do something or show a really good comment from a student.  I see myself doing simple things like this initially just to get used to using it and for my students to get used to seeing me use it.  There are great interactive math sites that I can use on the board I can also use initially.  Then I am anxious to begin to plan with the PB in mind.  I want to write math or science lesson plans as PB files so that there is much more interactivity in my classroom.  I think it would be ideal if the students were using it as well, but with the SmartBoard, it was very difficult to have more than one student at a time use it.  Some thoughts for math and science:
  •  Interactive manipulatives for math using EM Games or the Virtual Manipulatives math site.
  • Math warm up - Putting a system in place where I put my warm up on the PB and begin my lesson there.
  • Science videos with students circling key parts that demonstrate a concept.
  • Class created files throughout a science unit beginning with KWL, adding concepts, ending with key points, vocabulary.  This way, when I want to teach it next year, I have a document of what I did.
  • Virtual Science Notebook?

2 comments:

Erin said...

(Just to avoid confusion, this is a different Erin.)

Very impressive setup you've got here--I love you have your students involved in the blogs and wikis. I also have been trying to figure out the best ways to get more students actively involved when only one or two can actually be up at the board. I'll be interested to hear what you find works well.

emdisi said...

You are a prime candidate to start using the "Dual Pen" option with your new Promethean Board, Jeff. Check out the videos at http://www.prometheanplanet.com/server.php?show=nav.1147 and scroll down to find the "Dual User Pen" and "Dual User Basics" videos available!

:)