Sunday, March 14, 2010

A New Lens

Okay, it has happened.  We have been talking at length about what we call "Deeper Level Thinking" and now nearly everything I have been reading and seeing on the web is related to it and I can't keep up!  Here is my preliminary list:

Neil Degrasse Tyson talking about Science Literacy - "I am often asked, 'How do I get my kid more interested in Science?'  GET OUT OF THEIR WAY!" (Straight A students get straight A's because you [teacher] don't matter to them.  --ouch...)

Daniel Pink, DRiVE - The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us

The Thinking Classroom - Learning and Teaching in a Culture of Thinking, Tishman, Perkins, Jay.  Meg Torres' blog on this topic.

Understanding by Design, Grant Wiggins

How do I (we) filter through this vast body of knowledge that says that we need to be valuing the thinking process in our students, not their grade, not the standardized test.  I see my school jumping from resource to resource, then presenting each to the whole faculty like the latest is the greatest.  The topic is a good one, and I think it is worthy of us spending our PD time working on it.  We should collectively vett this information, experiment and experience it, then boil it all down to its most valuable points.  HOW?

No comments: