Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Reflections on Fourth Grade Posts


My fourth graders posted their writing last week. Read their funny stories on our blog. I am impressed with their sense of humor. Many stories are genuinely funny. This week, I am giving them time throughout the day to sign on and leave comments for each other.

Reflections on this process:
  • Typing skills, or lack thereof, really slowed the process down. I am not satisfied taking a whole writing period, or two, to type. I think I will have them post one out of every three writings. Another option may be to scan their handwritten copies.
  • Students have to sign in with their email address to post. Their email is (firstnamelastinitial).alsup@think.com, along with a password. Some students are signing in without a problem. Others (15 of my 20?) are taking forever to sign in and/or can't remember how to do it. I made each a laminated cheat sheet to keep in their desks, but the process is tough for them to get used to. Again, a huge time-suck.
  • I really like that my students get a chance to comment on each other's writing. Doing this through the blog is very motivating. Some of my lowest writers are finding errors and are giving feedback through a comment.
  • I have wondered whether this is the best way to post student work. With everyone posting within a couple of days, the first ones to post become "old" very fast and are sent to the second page. I tagged each with their name so that you could click on a student to read their writing. If I post on my website, readers can't comment. I don't think a wiki is appropriate. Maybe blogger is not the best for education. I looked at blogmeister and am not crazy about the look of it. I have looked at edublogs, that may be a better option in the future. Just mulling it around.
  • The hit map and cluster map are awesome! Kids are checking every couple of days to see who else has read. I told a funny story to my fourth graders about me and my college roommate, Neil, who is now a teacher in San Francisco. We looked at the hit map last week and there was a hit in San Fransisco, about 5 of my kids yell out, "Neil!" It is so exciting to see them making connections to the larger community. Seeing the hit map has really changed their perspective of the world.
Feedback? Comments? Insights?

1 comment:

Joseph Miller said...

Here's the payoff: read Ms. Johnsons blog today (http://toniajohnson.blogspot.com/) on struggles with getting her kids to sign in at the high school level. When your kids get to high school...they will be able to sign in. I think the time suck is something to be concerned about. I wonder if your all stars can help out at login time? Maybe not realistic.

I like the new way you have posted the student work with the tag. It appears the students are loving commenting and reading the writing of their colleagues. Never in my life have I had an opportunity like that (as a student). They are lucky.

The hitmap story is priceless. I am impressed with the work that you and your students are doing! Can't wait to see more.