Monday, September 3, 2007

A Collaborative Effort

On Thursday, I presented my wiki, alsupibworldschoolunits.wikispaces.com, to my grade level team, principal, learning coordinator and UCD site professor. I looked at this project in a much different light in preparation for showing others.

First, I realized that my vision of adding all of the units for all grade levels is much too ambitious. I decided that I would add the units for my grade level as the year progresses and invite others to add theirs as they see value to the wiki. The wiki still shows all of the grade levels in the navigation on the left side, but I'm not going to add any units, unless a grade level is really interested in having them there. (Better yet, I am going to show them how to do it.)

Second, the wiki is of real value if it is a collaborative effort. In order to bring others on, they need to see the potential of it. I don't think the wiki shows much potential when you see the units without any reflection or student work. It isn't much more than another place to house the units. As I am teaching the unit on the Solar System I am adding resources, screen shots of our work and a screencast of a review of a previous lesson. During the presentation I think this showed that the wiki can be used as a way to reflect, as well as collaborate.

Some interesting questions/comments came up along the way that I didn't anticipate. First, Lynn, my principal asked whether this would be a site for just teachers or for parents as well. I think it is for teachers, but made us all think about the potential for more parent participation in the development process of these units. They may be able to provide a unique reflection piece to the units. Our special ed provider for the grade level saw the great collaborative potential. She thought that she could view the wiki before it is taught and add scaffolding/accommodations for her students. Our UCD site professor who works with all of the TCs (Teacher Candidates) in the building has an exchange professor from Asia that she wants to come see all of the great new technology in our district. She took note of the url for the wiki and our global learners blog and is going to show us off.

Thoughts?

1 comment:

Joseph Miller said...

The wiki process seems to require a lot of scaffolding or up front work. This is true whether working with adults or students. You cannot be the only person doing this work, but you also clearly understand that you must play a vital role of getting the ball rolling. I think once the ball gets rolling you become a referee of sorts. You manage organization and make sure the site is treated with respect (must add the wiki to your RSS aggregator). Then, you begin enlisting other referees and showing them how to add the wiki to their aggregator to monitor the growth. You go from content creator, to manager, to highest level supervisor.

I think you are right...student work is an absolute necessity. There is power in seeing the work the teacher is reflecting on. I like the idea of the wiki as reflection space.

I would love to see some outside "experts" get involved. Maybe some planetary scientists from CU or CSU. Maybe a high school student that starts participating in the wiki. I know that might be jumping too far out in the future, but it sure will be exciting to see this expand.

I am thrilled too that the GL crew is getting some attention. You all deserve the recognition!